Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Though the fig tree does not bud.....

How many times when we find ourselves in a deep valley in this life's journey, have questioned bitterly or sometimes not so bitterly, why is God allowing this in my life, if He loves me? At times the questions become severe and the tone harsh, when we see someone so dearly loved by us, goes through these deep and dark valleys. Why is there pain and suffering when God is in control of everything? or even worse it leads some to "Does God exist at all?".

I am writing this, as recently I came across a song that I had heard long back. The song titled "I will sing" brought back with it all the precious memories that it holds, of my graduate days when I first heard it and the great comfort it was to read the passage in the Bible that this song arches on.

Prophet Habakuk says in ,3:17-19 :
"Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.
The Sovereign LORD is my strength.."
The passage marks almost the end of the book, which is very short as far it's length goes in terms of the number of chapters it contains. You can read the book in all of it's entirety in just a couple of hours, which by the way I would sincerely urge to, every one reading this article.
C.S.Lewis said "I could write another chapter on pain and suffering, only when I get over with this terrible toothache". It's easy to ask the philosophical questions, and worse even to lead the conclusions thereof damning the existence of God, when one hasn't even gone through it.
But having gone through it does not give one a right, without careful and logical assessment of the issue, to negate God or His existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment